Abuja – Kaduna train service : FG harps on Adequate security before resumption
The Federal Government has declared that Abuja – Kaduna train service will only resume operations after adequate security measures are put in place to forestall future reccurrences of train attacks in the country.
The Minister of Transportation, Engr Mu’azu Jaji Sambo, made this known while briefing Journalists on the release of the remaining 23 victims of March 28, 2022 train attack.
He explained that the security measures will include short and long term plans for train services across the country, with the short term taking effect by the end of October, 2022.
Also, the Minister informed that
no ransome was paid for the release of the 23 victims of attack, who had already been reunited with their families after proper medical examination.
Speaking further, Engr. Sambo said President Muhammadu Buhari met with the freed kidnap victims in Kaduna after the commissioning ceremony for Cadets of the 69 Regular Course at Afaka, Kaduna State.
The Minister, who was over joyed over the safe release of the 23 victims, pointed out : “The plan of Government was to get them out safely without collateral damage. So, a Committee made up of some retired Generals and high ranking retired public officers assisted the Military and Security Agencies to facilitate the process of securing their release”.
He added : “I have also in my capacity as the Minister of Transportation, having just resumed duty a few weeks, met and addressed relatives of the kidnap victims. I told them to cooperate with Security operatives whenever there was need and assured them that they would be reunited with their loved ones as it remained paramount objective of the Government of President Muhammadu Buhari”.
He enthused :
” With their release, this day will therefore, remain memorable in the annals of our Nation’s history. Every person who has contributed in any way to the release of the victims has every reason to be happy for contributing to the Nation’s glory”.
Responding to questions, as to why the released 23 victims were not at the Ministry of Transportation during the briefing, the Minister said they were supposed to be at the Ministry, but certain things needed to be done like taking them to the hospital for treatment, adding that after the President saw them in kaduna they were reunited with their families, making it a bit difficult to gather them.
In the same vein, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Transportation, Dr. Magdalene Ajani reteirated that taking them to the Hospital for medical attention was an essential part of rehabilitation process after their release.
“This will ensure that they are in sound, fit and proper health”, Dr Ajani said.